Welcome To Horwich Heritage Centre
Horwich Heritage was formed in 1985 following a series of public meetings aimed at re-establishing a sense of local pride in the wake of the closure of Horwich Locomotive Works the previous year.
The Society first began holding its meetings in the Public Hall, moving to Horwich Resource Centre in 1990 where its monthly meetings still take place. It opened its first Heritage Centre within the Resource Centre in 1995 and moved into its current premises in 2006. It gratefully acknowledges the support given by Horwich Town Council, Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council and the Resource Centre in the development of its activities.
Membership currently numbers around 200 and the Society not only runs its own Heritage Centre and meetings but produces its own books and DVDs on subjects of local interest.
The groups aims are:
- To stimulate public interest in and appreciation of our area.
- To provide suitable premises for the display of social and industrial history.
- To secure the preservation, conservation and improvement of features of general or historic interest.
- To promote tourism and encourage use of the surrounding countryside as part of a heritage framework.
- To encourage research into the history of Horwich and Rivington and to publish the results.
- To provide a social and educational service, giving advice and information and to act as a coordinating body to cooperate with local services.
- To raise funds to enable the pursuit of our objectives.
On this website you will find details of how to become a member Horwich Heritage, dates of forthcoming meetings and events, a list of publications available frm the society and information about the exhibitions and archives at the Heritage Centre.
As the Society approaches its 31st year, we look forward to further developing our activites based on our much-admired Heritage Centre where we have the opportunity to do justice to the rich and varied history of Horwich and all the people who have helped to make us so proud of the town today.
We hope you find that Horwich Heritage has something to offer and welcome your interest, suggestions and support.
Stuart Whittle, Chairman
Download Our 2018 Programme
Our 2018 programme has now been finalised, featuring our popular Open Days, Monthly Meetings and Joining Information.
You can download your own PDF copy by clicking here: Horwich Heritage - Events Programme 2018
SATURDAYS 10am - 1pm
November 3rd 2018
Craft & Gift Fair
November 10th 2018
100 Yrs Since The End Of World War I
All 'Open Days' Admission - FREE
September 11th 2018
Russell Hedley - Wildlife Of The Smithills Estate
October 9th 2018
David Hill - Crystal Palace & The Great Exhibition
November 13th 2018
Steve Williams - The Road To Armistice
December 11th 2018
Ken Scally - Folk Singer & Story Teller
Membership: £10 per annum
Non-Members: £2 per meeeting
General Enquiries: 01204 847797
Membership: 01204 695737
Programme: 01204 692930
Family History: 01204 460010