Welcome To Horwich Heritage Centre
Horwich Heritage was formed in 1985 following a series of public meetings aimed at re-establishing a sense of local pride in the wake of the closure of Horwich Locomotive Works the previous year.
The Society first began holding its meetings in the Public Hall, moving to Horwich Resource Centre in 1990 where its monthly meetings still take place. It opened its first Heritage Centre within the Resource Centre in 1995 and moved into its current premises in 2006. It gratefully acknowledges the support given by Horwich Town Council, Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council and the Resource Centre in the development of its activities.
Membership currently numbers around 200 and the Society not only runs its own Heritage Centre and meetings but produces its own books and DVDs on subjects of local interest.
The groups aims are:
- To stimulate public interest in and appreciation of our area.
- To provide suitable premises for the display of social and industrial history.
- To secure the preservation, conservation and improvement of features of general or historic interest.
- To promote tourism and encourage use of the surrounding countryside as part of a heritage framework.
- To encourage research into the history of Horwich and Rivington and to publish the results.
- To provide a social and educational service, giving advice and information and to act as a coordinating body to cooperate with local services.
- To raise funds to enable the pursuit of our objectives.
On this website you will find details of how to become a member Horwich Heritage, dates of forthcoming meetings and events, a list of publications available frm the society and information about the exhibitions and archives at the Heritage Centre.
As the Society approaches its 31st year, we look forward to further developing our activites based on our much-admired Heritage Centre where we have the opportunity to do justice to the rich and varied history of Horwich and all the people who have helped to make us so proud of the town today.
We hope you find that Horwich Heritage has something to offer and welcome your interest, suggestions and support.
Stuart Whittle, Chairman
Download Our 2019 Programme
Our 2019 programme has now been finalised, featuring our popular Open Days, Monthly Meetings and Joining Information.
You can download your own PDF copy by clicking here: Horwich Heritage - Events Programme 2018
SATURDAYS 10am - 1pm
March 16th 2019
Happy 130th Birthday 1008
April 13th 2019
May 11th 2019
The Changing Face Of Horwich Shopping
July 20th 2019
On Our Doorstep: The West Pennine Moors
September 7th 2019
80 Years Since The Start Of WWII
All Open Days Are
February 12th 2019
Elaine Taylor - Rivington Terraced Gardens
March 12th 2019
Tom Heavyside - Lancashire Steam
April 9th 2019
Lavinia Todd - The Tudor Origins Of Today's Words
May 14th 2019
Keith Warrender - Hidden Gems Of Manchester
June 11th 2019
A.G.M. - TBA
Membership: £10 per annum
Non-Members: £2 per meeeting
General Enquiries: 01204 847797
Membership: 01204 695737
Programme: 01204 692930
Family History: 01204 460010